I wanted to share a recent recipe that my family had for breakfast! It's COMPLETELY easy and TOTALLY delicious! :)
This is the prefect recipe for that Saturday or Sunday morning when there's nothing to do but get together as a family and have a delicious breakfast! :)
French Toast Casserole
- firm white bread
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or to taste
- 8 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups almond milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- powdered sugar and maple syrup, for serving
- Using a piece of waxed paper, generously grease a 9x13 inch glass baking dish.
- Slice the bread into 12 (1 inch) slices, then cut each slice into 1 inch cubes.
- Chop the nuts using a knife.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Arrange half the bread in a single layer in the prepared dish, then sprinkle half the sugar mixture evenly over the top; add a second layer with the remaining bread and the sugar mixture.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs; add the milk and vanilla extract, whisking until well blended.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread, starting from the outer edge; with a spatula, gently press down on the bread to coat it with the egg mixture.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees; bake the casserole covered for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and continue baking until the casserole turns a light golden brown and looks slightly puffed, about 30 minutes more.
- Serve the casserole warm with powdered sugar and maple syrup!